Main menu
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Catfish in Olvers?

Catfish in Olvers? 2 years 1 month ago #781

• Jesus
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 12
Does anyone know if there is a catfish in Olvers? I'm asking because about three times over the last five years I've hooked something in there that has felt much bigger than the carp I have landed (up to mid thirties). Each time it has initially gone on a really long fast run and then stopped and I've not been able to turn or move it at all.

It happened again last week when I found myself holding on to this solid lump. It definitely wasn't snagged as every time a let the line go loose it moved off. I held it solid for about ten minutes applying as much tension as I could without any sign of progress. It just carried on plodding around and then the same result as the previous two times I hooked it: the hook link snapped (or was bitten through).

I know this probably sounds like another tale about the one that got away. i must admit I've had fish before that stripped so much line off me that I thought they were much bigger than they were when landed. But this difference is that I have always been able to turn and bring them in. With the fish I'm describing I've been hanging on to it for ages but still felt that there was no sign that it was coming my way. It also felt much bigger and heavier. I wonder if it could be a catfish.

Has anyone else got any information /experiences to add on this? Maybe I should call Jeremy Wade to see if he can do an episode of River Monsters on it???!!!!
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Jesus.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Catfish in Olvers? 2 years 1 month ago #782

• numpty
  • Thank you received: 2
Never fished it but Catfish corner must have earned its name somehow & SSHHHH they're not supposed to be in there !!!!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jesus

Catfish in Olvers? 2 years 1 month ago #784

• Jesus
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 12

You ain't seen me, right!!!!

Catfish in Olvers? 2 years 1 month ago #802

• alanbrinsley
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 24
I have had the same experience in Grimshaws in the past, I'm sure all the complex waters can throw the occasional surprise!

Numpty, catfish corner is on redhouse and their presence in that water has been confirmed.
Alan Falconbridge
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds